BlessedX2

BLESSEDX2







Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A fear I want to overcome

For those that know me best know that I am scared to death of big dogs. I was attacked by a dalmation when I was in college and ever since I am very cautious around dogs. I feel guilty because I feel I have made my kids this way too. You just cant ever trust an animal. Running is my hobby and I NEED it. It is not only a great way to stay healthy but it is a great stress reliever for me. Tara and I went running Monday after school and we were about half way through when all of a sudden Tara says to me "Laura, stop". I immediately freeze. There about 20 ft from us was a white male pit bull. Every thought is going through my head and for a split second I literally could not feel my legs. I say lets just turn around and walk up to the house across the street. The whole time I have my back to it I am just praying that I dont get attacked from the back. I didn't have the courage to turn around and look. We get to the door of the house (which is actually the schools spec ed building) and just walk in. Calling out to see who's in there someone comes out from the back. They tell us we can use the phone to call the police. So, we wait for about 15 minutes on a police deputy to get there. All this time the dog is just walking around out front. We are not going anywhere! Finally, the police officer arrives and try's to get the dog but he actually is running away from the officer. Come to find out it belonged to the house across the street and the man didn't know that his grandsons had accidentally let it out. Im sure chances are the dog may have been nice but I cant take any chances. I have always have a fear of dogs when Im running but I really try to put it out of my mind and enjoy my run. Now, I am terrified all over again. I will now run with mace. I hate that it has to be like that. I wish people could just be responsible enough with their animals, ecspecially that breed. I want to feel like I can run and not worry about an animal attack. This is a fear I really want to overcome and I don't want my children to have this anxiety. I just want them to be aware that an animal can never be trusted.

1 comment:

  1. We'll be packin' pepper spray in "fanny packs" as my dear husband suggested!! :)

    ReplyDelete